Custom Pages

Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Inspired by Mary

These two bookmarks are inspired by Mary Konior's "Corn and Chaff," from her book Tatting in Lace.


Ever since tatting Corn and Chaff, I wondered how Mary was able to make these braid patterns. I finally figured out a way to do it, but find it easier to work with larger ring sets of three and four. It's basically a matter of balancing the curvature of the large ring, with the arch created at the base of a ring set. There's some trial and error in getting things to fit snugly.

Some interesting shapes can be made with these one shuttle patterns. Here's a version with pairs of rings:

4 comments:

God's Kid said...

Those are great!!! :)

Lavinia said...

I really like the swirly effect of the pattern. It looks very nice with the variegated thread too.

Unknown said...

These are beautiful, love the pattern.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Your tatting is always so perfect! I do like that Mary's patterns can be adapted for bookmarks. I don't think I've tried this pattern before. I'll have to look it up.